WHAT IS GENERAL REHABILITATION?
Rehabilitation is the process of returning to a healthy or good way of life, or the process of helping someone to do this after they have been ill, suffered an injury or after surgery. People may also need rehabilitation to optimise their functional levels if they have chronic conditions such as stroke or traumatic brain injury.
At Sau Seng Lum, rehabilitation is holistic, client-centered and multidisciplinary. Our rehabilitation team consists of physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, clinical psychologist and rehabilitation assistant working together with our clients to fulfil their goals.
Clinical approaches to rehabilitation include:
- Prevention of secondary complications.
- Remediation or treatments to reduce neurological deficits.
- Compensation to offset and adapt to residual disabilities.
- Maintenance of functions over the long term.
- Psychosocial intervention to assist patient, family and care taker in adjusting life with the disabilities.
Rehabilitation can often be a challenge, not only to the body but also to one’s spirit. We are here to help you overcome your hurdle.
WHO CAN BENEFIT?
Our qualified therapists treat the following conditions:
- Neurological conditions
- Stroke (Cerebrovascular Accident)
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Post-operation Brain Tumour / Spinal Tumour
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Motor Neuron Disease
Neurological rehabilitation (Neuro-rehabilitation) is a restoration learning process which seeks to hasten and maximize recovery by treating the disabilities caused by injuries, diseases and disorders to the brain and central nervous system. Neuro-rehabilitation can begin as early in hospital bedsides and continue as outpatient in community centre after discharge.
- Sprains, strains, joint dislocations and fractures.
- Musculoskeletal pain syndrome such as back and neck pain and frozen / stiff shoulders.
- Degenerative joints or arthritis, post-op joint replacements.
- Sport injuries
- Chronic heart disease
- Rehabilitation after heart attack
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Geriatric issues such as falls and mobility issues
- Chronic pain issues
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Our qualified therapist will assess and evaluate the client based on the biopsychosocial model of care. Based on the assessments and client goals, the therapists with the input from client and family members involved in his/her care puts together an individualised management programme. Reassessments will be carried out to measure the effectiveness of the management plan from time to time. Management programme will be adjusted according to the patient’s current physical, cognitive and psychological needs and is inclusive of:
Physiotherapists aim to help clients regain their physical and functional abilities after suffering from a disability resulting from illness, injuries, accidents, disabilities and aging.
Physiotherapy at Sau Seng Lum aims to:
- Improve and optimise functional movement by improving motor control, flexibility, balance, strength and endurance.
- Reduce and manage pain reduction.
- Prevent disability / injury from occurring.
Treatment may involve:
- Physical and electrical modalities for pain, swelling, strength.
- Exercise to improve balance, strength, endurance and flexibility.
- Manual therapy to reduce pain, improve joint mobility and movement.
Occupational Therapists aim to help the client return to the highest functional level and regain independence in daily activities. They are trained to assess patient’s functional capacity followed by individualized treatment needs such as:
- Activity of Daily Living retraining such as grooming, dressing and bathing.
- IADL Retraining to help regain life skills such as caring for dependents, maintaining a home, performing house chores and yard work, and shopping.
- Facilitate return to work programmes.
- Cognitive perceptual assessment and retraining, specifically problems such as memory loss, altered judgement and reduced attention span.
- Splinting and braces prescription to manage spasticity, pain and increase range of motion.
- Wheelchair assessment and training.
- Upper limb functional training.
- Prescription of assistive devices to promote independence.
- Advise in home modification.
We provide facilities such as tilt table, electrical stimulation such as TENS, Balance Trainer/ Balance Master, therapeutic ultrasound, infrared light therapy, shock wave therapy etc.
We also combine advances in technologies to bring our individual patients to the highest level of improvement. The high technology facilities now available in our centres are:
Lokomat, Armeo and Bioness L300 which are available at SSL (PJ) Stroke Rehabilitation Centre.
Bioness H200 and Bioness L300 which are available at SSL (Puchong) Dialysis and Stroke Rehabilitation Centre.
Please contact us at +603-5882 9181 (Puchong) or +603-7784 1636 (PJ) to schedule an appointment or for more information.