WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
Work Rehabilitation at Sau Seng Lum includes the assessment and rehabilitation for workers with injuries and conditions that affect their ability to perform their jobs. It offers prevention and treatment programmes for all types of work-related injuries/conditions including traumatic upper extremity and hand injuries, lower extremity injuries, upper and lower back injuries etc.
Functional Capacity Evaluation - a comprehensive evaluation process that tests the client's overall physical ability with respect to his/her current or targeted job demands for safe and effective employment.
Work Conditioning / Work Hardening Programme - incorporates aerobic conditioning, physical endurance training, strengthening programmes, job simulations tasks and education to facilitate the transition of clients from the role of patient to worker.
Ergonomic Consultation - Provides professional recommendations that may include engineering solutions, management controls, medical management concepts, exercise programmes and training programmes to decrease work-related injuries.
Job Analysis - assessment of workplace to determine the physical demand of a specific job and the physical requirements of an employee to perform the job safely. Identify risk factors and provides recommendations for changes of the physical layout of the workstation.
Education Programmes - offers a specially tailored ergonomic and workplace safety educational programmes for employers and employees to decrease workplace problems and injuries.
HAND THERAPY & UPPER EXTREMITY REHABILITATION
Hand therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper limb, which includes the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder girdle. Hand therapy is the non-surgical management of hand disorders and injuries using physical methods such as exercise, splinting and wound care. It has a crucial role in the recovery from injury of the hand or wrist (or other upper limb part), and in the recovery from hand surgical operations.
- Improvement of hand & upper limb functions in term of flexibility, mobility, strength, coordination etc.
- Management of open or sutured wounds (prevention of infection & assistance in healing).
- Control of hypertrophic or hypersensitive scars.
- Reduction of swelling.
- Pain management.
Preventive, Non-operative, or Conservative Treatment
- Management of acute or chronic pain.
- Desensitization following nerve injury or trauma.
- Sensory re-education after nerve injury.
- Design and implementation of exercise programmes to increase motion, dexterity and/or strength.
- Splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury.
- Training in the performance of daily life skills.
- Conditioning prior to return to work.
Common Diagnoses in Hand Therapy & Upper Extremity Rehabilitation:
- Tendon injuries
- Tendon transfers
- Nerve injuries
- Nerve entrapment syndromes (Carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome etc)
- Joint instability
- Tendinopathies (Trigger finger, de Quervain’s disease, tennis elbow etc)
- Common shoulder diagnoses (Frozen shoulder, rotator cuff injury, etc)
- Finger sprains & deformities
- Ganglions & tumors
- Neurological hand
Driving rehabilitation programme provides pre-driving evaluation to clients whose illness or disability may affect their ability to drive. Standardized tests, musculoskeletal assessments as well as cognitive/perceptual assessments of clients’ abilities to operate a motorized vehicle are performed to determine if the clients have the potential to improve from driver training. Driving rehabilitation programme also assists clients with adaptive driving equipment and altered driving techniques.
These services are available as part of our driving rehabilitation programme:
- Pre-driving evaluation - Client’s physical, cognitive/perceptual and visual abilities are evaluated using standardized tests. Knowledge of basic vehicle components and road rules are evaluated as well. Relevant reports of client’s psychological status and auditory functioning are provided by respective professionals. A driving simulator is used as a part of the pre-driving evaluation.
- Pre-driving rehabilitation - incorporates driving simulation tasks, physical conditioning, cognitive retraining to optimize client’s fitness for driving task.
- Recommendations of vehicle modification.
Please contact us at +603-5882 9181 (Puchong) or +603-7784 1636 (PJ) to schedule an appointment or for more information.